SCRIPT CONTESTS, FELLOWSHIPS and LABS*
Many screenwriting contests out there are a waste of time. They are expensive and don't do much for your career. At least with a third tier film festival, you'll have an opportunity to watch your movie on the big scree, meet other filmmakers and put a festival laurel on your trailer/DVD packaging which can help market it. Still, winning a script contest can be a low-cost way to break in to the film industry. Still, you have to win a reputable script contest to get ahead. A script contest worth it's salt is visited by agents and producers on the prowl for talent. Review the history of a top contest and you'll find successful screenwriters and filmmakers who won in the past as well as noteworthy agents, producers and filmmakers on the judging panel. Good contests also tend to provide feedback which can elevate your script even if it doesn't win. Finally, the top contests offer worthy prizes.
So check out the following contests to see which one is perfect for your feature or short, your wallet and your future.
* Calendar date is for the approximate Earlybird deadlines. Check each site for actual submission deadlines including Regular and Late Deadlines as well as fees and rules to enter.
- Scriptapalooza TV Writing Contest (Note: semi-annual contest, final deadline)
- Austin Screenplay and Teleplay Competition
- BlueCat Screenplay Competition (shorts)
- BlueCat Screenplay Competition (feature)
- Tracking B (feature)