PRODUCTION JOURNAL: Midweek Morning Mixer - 7/24/13
Star Date 07.24.13
Lots to read and think about if you're a producer or a director, so let's just jump right into it.
- Variety's latest article makes me think of the following: In the aftermath of some horrible box office numbers for tentpole films, will the studios still prefer spending $250 million on a single movie and letting more quirky or personal films migrate to video-on-demand? With big- budget event movies cannibalizing each other, will the overseas market grow fast enough to make up for the collateral damage? Instead of throwing money at a film or an actor and hoping for the best, is there a better, more analytic way to determine beforehand if a film is worth making, and at what specific dollar value?
- According to Henry Selick, animation also seems to be infected with the condition of "big blockbuster bloatedness" too. Are creative diversity and online streaming the answer?
- 6 Lessons from the new digital distribution universe that begins by giving Harmony Korine props for being one of the first to use tweens with a big social media following in what Anthony Kaufman predicts will be a trend.
- And, since we're talking about Korine, let's read about Korine in an interview with the Spring Breakers director.
- Spike Lee is now the most prestigious director to join the Kickstarter free-for-all. He gets support from Steven Soderbergh.
- A dissection of Michelangelo Antonioni's memorable opening to L'eclisse and how it sets the tone and themes for what's to follow.
- BBC and the Arts Council of England's youtube video - Storytelling: How to make a short for online audiences.
- Good overview advice on writing a grant proposal. Documentary filmmakers start taking notes.
- Special Effects Unit Director Ray Tintori for Beasts of the Southern Wild talks us through the film's visual effects, and how they had to navigate shots around the tragic Louisiana oil spill.
- The Movie Set app: Using your iPhone you can set up and record movie clips and upload them to a cloud storage system
while also using a back end server for device co-ordination. Up to 10 iPhones can record simultaneously and it's FREE. Leaders from all corners of the TV business will be at NYC Television Week, including industry management, programmers, technologists, engineers and talent, as well as those who want to reach TV advertisers and sponsors. - See more at: http://nyctelevisionweek.com/about/#sthash.XfByngyv.dpufConferences, award presentations, networking events and seminars are planned - See more at: http://nyctelevisionweek.com/about/#sthash.XfByngyv.dpufConferences, award presentations, networking events and seminars are planned - See more at: http://nyctelevisionweek.com/about/#sthash.XfByngyv.dpufConferences, award presentations, networking events and seminars are planned - See more at: http://nyctelevisionweek.com/about/#sthash.XfByngyv.dpuf